Cambridge & District Citizens Advice is a registered charity (no. 1056102), a registered company (no. 3191085), authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (no. FRN 617537).
We are a member of the national Citizens Advice network.
The activities of the organisation are overseen by a Board of Trustees who also set its overall strategy. The day-to-day running of the organisation is devolved to the Chief Executive.
Our trustees bring a vast range of skills and experience to Cambridge & District Citizens Advice. Their backgrounds incorporate expertise from charity work, academia, business and many other areas. For information on becoming a trustee click here.
Nigel Brown OBE (Chairman)
Nigel has played a key role in Cambridge business for over 30 years. He was founder and Chairman of investment management company The NW Brown Group from 1974 to 2007. His many interests include The Stradivari Trust, Magpas and Saffron Hall concert venue. Nigel was awarded the individual Queen’s Award for Enterprise Support in 2007 and the OBE in 2008. Recently he was awarded the Cambridge News Medlmmune Award for Outstanding Contribution. Nigel has an Honorary doctorate from ARU and is an Honorary fellow of Huges Hall.
Bill Humphrey (Vice Chair)
- After graduating from the University of Cambridge, Bill worked for the Commonwealth Office and the World Bank.
- He worked as one of our General Advisers for 12 years before becoming a Trustee in 2010.
Dr George Reid (Vice Chair)
- George has recently retired as Head of the Office of Intercollegiate Services in the University of Cambridge.
- He is a Fellow of St John’s College, and was formerly Senior Bursar of the College and a University Lecturer in Mathematics.
- Alan is a Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
- He was the College’s first ever teaching Fellow in geography and was Vice-Master of the College from 1990 to 1994.
Jane Belman (Chair of Personnel Committee and Research and Campaign Committee)
- Jane has worked as Scrutiny and Improvement Officer at Cambridgeshire County Council.
- She has worked on health and social policy issues for a range of local and national voluntary organisations.
Linda Holland (chair of the strategy and finance group)
- Linda has over 25 years of experience of working in the not-for-profit sector.
- She specialises in providing major charities with strategic and project management
- David is a Fellow of Emmanuel College, Cambridge where from 1974 to 1991 he taught economics and was the Bursar from 1983 to 1991.
- He is Chair of Trustees for the Cambridge City Foodbank.
Caroline is principal of CLE Consulting & Training, based in Cambridge. She is an experienced counsellor, coach, and therapist and a successful businesswoman. She has had a committed interest in Cambridge CAB for a long time.
- Keith is a Chartered Civil Engineer focusing on the protection of the environment.
- He has worked for Cambridgeshire County Council and the Environment Agency.
- Geoff has worked extensively in food manufacturing and distribution.
- He was MD of the Rhodesian Food Corporation and General Foods in South Africa. He moved to UK in 1980 to start his own Food Distribution company –The Foodfinders - and worked there until retirement in 2002.
Sarah Wells (Company Secretary)
- Sarah has over twenty years experience working in the charity sector. Following an earlier career running cultural venues in London and Glasgow, she then specialised in charity finance, advising trustee boards and senior management on budgeting and financial reporting.
- She is a former trustee of Cambridge Citizens Advice Bureau, she is also a director and company secretary of several other charities in Cambridge.
Our Board also has non-voting members who represent various interests. Currently they are:
- Ali Dick – Staff representative
- Richard Curtis - Staff representative
- Richard Young – Volunteer representative
- Caitriona Bearryman - Volunteer representative
- Jackie Hanson – Cambridge City Council representative
- Councillor Linda Jones – Cambridgeshire County Council representative
- Debbie Preston – national Citizens Advice Relationship manager
- Lady Cass
- Lady Chadwyck - Healey
- Dr Pamela Raspe