Homelessness / rough sleepers

Services for rough sleepers and single homeless people

If you are homeless, statutory duties enable Cambridge City Council to work with you to find a new home. Go to the Cambridge City Council website to find out more about the local support available if you are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.

You can also find more information about homelessness on the national Citizens Advice website. This includes advice on applying for help from the council, including making an application and challenging a decision.

Organisations providing support in Cambridge

Street Outreach Team (01223 366 292)
Provide support and advice to help those who sleep or spend much of their time on the streets. The team can help people into accommodation and to address other problems.

Jimmy's Cambridge
Offers short-term, emergency accommodation for men and women who might otherwise have to sleep rough. In addition to a bedroom and meals, Jimmy’s provide a range of support and resettlement services.

Provides free breakfast, shower and laundry to those sleeping rough or unsuitably housed. They also organise various activities including work placements, training and workshops, with trained staff able to advise and signpost to support services.

Centre 33
Offers free and confidential services for young people in Cambridge and South and East Cambridgeshire. They can advise on a range of issues including housing and homelessness.

The Big Issue
An international organisation that works with homeless people all over the world. The Big Issue’s Cambridge office is located at Wintercomfort.

Emmaus Cambridge
A fully self-supporting community based in Landbeach. Companions live by the principle of helping others to live, grow and find dignity through sharing, work and self-respect.

Seeking refuge

If you can’t stay in your home because of violence, threats or any other abuse, it’s best to try to get a place in a refuge. They can help to keep you safe because they don’t advertise their address details. You can also get specialist advice and support.

You can arrange to get a place in a refuge by contacting:

Refuge or Women's Aid on 0808 2000 247 at any time.

Calls to these numbers are free.

If you are homeless as a result of domestic abuse, you can also find out about local support on this website - Domestic Abuse.