Coronavirus updates - Benefits and Tax Credits
Check what benefits you can get by going to the Citizens Advice England Benefits page.
University students: You may be able to get advice on benefit entitlement from your university.
Anglia Ruskin students can contact the Student Money Advice Service. Check for the latest up to date information on Coronavirus information for students and
Cambridge University students can contact the Student Advice Service.
There are three steps which should help you find the information you need.
First, please consider whether your question is one of the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Recent changes to benefits and tax credits
- What is Universal Credit and how might it affect me?
- Where can I find a timetable of changes to benefits and tax credits?
- What is the new state pension?
Eligibility for benefits
- Is there anywhere online I can check my benefit entitlement?
- I’ve lost my job, what can I claim?
- I’m too sick to work, what can I claim?
- I’m disabled, is there anything extra I can claim to help with living costs?
- How do I claim Child/Working Tax Credits?
- I’m struggling to keep my home warm. Is there any help available?
- I’m a parent, what benefits can I claim?
- I have come to the UK from abroad, what benefits can I claim?
- I’m recently bereaved, is there any help available?
- I’m over 60, and struggling to make ends meet, is there anything I can claim?
Issues with benefits
- How can I challenge a decision about my benefits?
- I have been sanctioned and my benefit has stopped and I now have no money. Is there anything I can claim?
- I am waiting to receive to receive a benefit that I have claimed but do not have much money, what can I do?
- I have been paid too much Tax Credit, what can I do?
- I haven’t received my Winter Fuel Payment, what can I do?
Support for housing costs
- I live in Cambridge City - where can I find out about help with rent?
- I live in Cambridge City - where can I find out about help with council tax?
- I live in South Cambridgeshire - Where can I find out about help with rent or council tax?
- Can I get help with mortgage interest costs while I am out of work?
- How does the Benefit Cap affect my Housing Benefit?
- How does the ‘bedroom tax’ affect Housing Benefit?
Each question links to an external site, which may be able to answer your question. Some may be links to Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
Second, if your question wasn’t one of those in Step 1, please look at these websites. They may be able to answer your question.
- Citizens Advice - national Citizens Advice website
- Gov.uk - useful information provided about government services and your rights
- Advicenow - website providing information on rights and legal issues
- Turn2Us- source of benefit advice and help finding charitable grants
- DWP - government department responsible for benefits
Each link is to an external site. Some links may open Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
If you are still unable to find the answer to your question, you can now email us via our web based form below.
PLEASE NOTE: We are only funded to help those who live or work in Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire District. If you are not in those areas, we will not be able to help you and you should find your local bureau.
Please give us as much information as possible, so that we may answer your question more quickly. We aim to respond within two working days.
If you do not have email but would like further help, go to Get Advice for other ways to contact us.
- Help us to help you. Please make a donation