Money Management - Debt

| Money Management|

Coronavirus updates - Debt

Go to Citizens Advice England to check what to do if you can't pay your bills because of Coronavirus.

The Money Advice Service and the debt charity Step Change can provide further free, impartial information about debt management.

If you are a university student your university may be able to advise you on money matters. This support is offered by the Student Money Advice Service for Anglia Ruskin University or the Student Advice Finance Service at Cambridge University.

Frequently Asked Questions About Debt

There are three steps which should help you find the information you need.

Step 1

First, please consider whether your question is one of the Frequently Asked Questions below.

Your options for dealing with debts

Your options for dealing with creditors

You have no money for things you need

  • I have no money for food, where are my local food banks?
  • I have no money and need to buy furniture or other items in an emergency. What can I do? - Come and see us face-to-face. These schemes require a third party to apply on your behalf.

Each question links to an external site, which may be able to answer your question. Some may be links to Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader

Step 2

Second, if your question wasn’t one of those in Step 1, please look at these websites. They may be able to answer your question.

  • Citizens Advice - Citizens Advice public website
  • - useful information provided about government services and your rights
  • Advicenow - website providing information on rights and legal issues
  • National Debtline - specialist debt helpline available

Each link is to an external site. Some links may open Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader

Step 3

If you are still unable to find the answer to your question, you can now email us via our web based form below.

PLEASE NOTE: We are only funded to help those who live or work in Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire District. If you are not in those areas, we will not be able to help you and you should find your local bureau.

Email for advice

Please give us as much information as possible, so that we may answer your question more quickly. We aim to respond within two working days.

If you do not have email but would like further help, go to Get Advice for other ways to contact us.

  • Help us to help you. Please make a donation