There are three steps which should help you find the information you need.
First, please consider whether your question is one of the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Private rented tenants and landlords
- My private landlord won’t return my rental deposit, how can I claim the money back?
- My private landlord won’t repair my home, what can I do?
- Can my landlord increase my rent?
- I want to end my tenancy, what should I do?
- My private landlord wants to evict me, can they do that?
- How do I become a landlord?
- I want to get my property back and I currently have assured shorthold tenants living there. What can I do?
- My social landlord won’t repair my home, what can I do?
- Can I transfer my tenancy to someone else?
- My social landlord is trying to evict me for rent arrears. What are my rights?
Finding somewhere to live
- I’m homeless, or soon will be, so what duties does the council have to help me?
- I am homeless, what local support is there available to me?
Improvements and adaptations
- I would like to make improvements to my home security (and am 60+ or disabled), where can I find help?
- I am elderly or disabled and have difficulty getting around my home easily, how do I find out whether I am entitled to adaptations?
- Am I entitled to support in paying for home improvements?
- I’m in dispute with my neighbours, what options do I have?
- I would like to take in a lodger. What do I need to know?
- I live in Cambridge City. Is there some support for taking in a lodger?
Each question links to an external site, which may be able to answer your question. Some may be links to Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
Second, if your question wasn’t one of those in Step 1, please look at these websites. They may be able to answer your question.
- Adviceguide - Citizens Advice public website
- Gov.uk - useful information provided about government services and your rights
- Advicenow - website providing information on rights and legal issues
- Shelter - specialist housing helpline available
Each link is to an external site. Some links may open Adobe Acrobat PDF files. If you cannot read these files, you may have to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
If you are still unable to find the answer to your question, you can now email us via our web based form below.
PLEASE NOTE: We are only funded to help those who live or work in Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire District. If you are not in those areas, we will not be able to help you and you should find your local bureau.
Please give us as much information as possible, so that we may answer your question more quickly. We aim to respond within two working days.
If you do not have email but would like further help, go to Get Advice for other ways to contact us.
- Help us to help you. Please make a donation