Coronavirus updates - Scams
It's important to be aware of the many new scams around at the moment because of Coronavirus. Scams to look out for include:
- advertising face masks or medical equipment at high prices;
- emails or texts pretending to be from the government;
- emails offering life insurance against Coronavirus;
- people knocking at your door and asking for money for charity.
Go to Citizens Advice England for information about how to find out if something may be a scam.
Be safe online
A scam is a type of fraud in which someone steals your money or information. You can be scammed online, in person, over the phone, or through the post. Scams can be difficult to recognise, but there are things you can look out for.
Reliable websites offering online safety advice:
- Get Safe Online is the UK’s leading source of unbiased, factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety.
- Staying Safe Online - Age UK
- Avoid phishing scams
Phishing: the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.
Vishing: the fraudulent practice of making phone calls or leaving voice messages purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as bank details and credit card numbers.
- Shop safely online
- Prevent identity theft