Settled Status in the UK after 30th June 2021

Settled Status

The UK has formally left the EU and we have now entered the transition period, which will last until the end of 2020. The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period. New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021. However, the deadline for applying for settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme has been extended until 30 June 2021.

If you or your family are from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you should check what you need to do if you want to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

  1. Check if you need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You may find that you don't need to, for example if you are an Irish citizen or have indefinite right to remain, but we recommend that you double check.
  2. Find out what status you'll get - settled or pre-settled depending on how long you have been resident in the UK when you apply.
  3. Check what documents you'll need and the criteria you must meet, e.g. proof of identity, proof of continuous UK residence.
  4. The EU Settlement Scheme is open, so you can apply now if you meet the criteria.

After 30 June 2021 you might be asked to prove that you or a member of your family has the right to do things like get a job or use the NHS. You’ll need to show that you have ‘pre-settled status’ or ‘settled status’. If this applies to you or anyone in your family, don't leave it until the last minute to find out more. Use reliable online sources for help:

Cambridge City Council has a section on their website called Understanding the Brexit process with information about local organisations that can help you, including:

  • Cambridge Citizens Advice can provide advice and guidance. See our Get Advice page to find out about where to find us and our opening times.
  • Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum (CECF) can provide assisted digital support for people needing help with an application for EU Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme. This is by appointment only – you can book an appointment by calling We-Are-Digital on 0333 344 5675.
  • Cambridge Online cannot provide advice and guidance but can help you through the digital application process. You must contact We-are-Digital on 0333 344 5675 to arrange an appointment with Cambridge Online.
  • Cambridge Central Library can also provide assistance.

Updated 03 Feb 2020

More about 'We Are Digital'

You can get help from the Home Office's assisted digital service if you aren't confident using the internet. The service is provided nationally by We Are Digital.

They can help you over the phone. You might be able to visit someone or they might be able to visit you at home - this will depend on where you live.

We Are Digital Tel: 0333 344 5675 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm, Saturday from 9.00am to 4.00pm)

Calls usually cost up to 40p a minute from mobiles and up to 10p a minute from landlines. It should be free if you have a contract that includes calls to landlines - check with your supplier if you’re not sure.

Other charities offering help


There are other charities online that provide information for EU citizens that you can visit in addition to If you decide to go to one of these websites, always check when the information was last updated.